Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (The 2/4th Battalion)

Research and Resources around the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry during WWI

Lieutenant Colonel George Philip Robert Beaman

Major G. P. R. Beaman was 2nd in command of the 2/4th Oxfords when they went to France. He was transferred to the 2/4th Royal Berkshires;

From G. K. Rose, The Story of the 2/4th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

After the Battle of Fromelles, 19th July 1916.
“Major Beaman was still Second in Command.”

2nd March 1917
“On the night of March 2 the Battalion was relieved by the Berks, now under the command of Colonel Beaman, and moved back about 2,000 yards to some support trenches near Bovent Copse”

From the War Diaries of the 2/4th Royal Berks

“Monday 4th December 1916, France, Varennes
Company training. Musketry on Range. Major Beaman took over Command.”

“Sunday 21st January 1917, France, Noyelles-en-Chaussee
Church Parade. Lt Col G R P BEAMAN returned from leave.”

Tuesday 3rd April 1917, France, Vermand
“The GOC 184 Inf Brigade wrote to Col Beaman (OC Battn) congratulating him on the splendid work done by the Battn in the attack, and wished him to convey to all ranks his appreciation of the gallantry and splendid spirit shown by them during the operations of 2nd.
The Battn was engaged on clearing roads and repairing same ready for Heavy Traffic. Killed 1 OR, wounded at duty 1 OR (RSM).”

“Tuesday 28th August 1917, Belgium, Derby Camp
One hour was devoted to Battalion Drill. Company Training was carried out under Company arrangements. Specialist Training was carried out under the Specialist Officers. The first Competition for the Cup presented by Lieut Col G P R BEAMAN was held in the afternoon. This constituted an Attack on an Objective by a Company with one platoon dealing with a Strong Point. The judges decided that No 4 Platoon “A” Coy (2/Lieut G W de St LEGIER) dealt with the Strong Post best, and they were presented with the Cup until the next Competition is held.”

“Wednesday 5th September 1917, Belgium, Goldfish Chateau
Companies practised crawling for assembly from shell hole to shell hole. The Battalion carried out a practise attack on the same lines as the day before. Several working and carrying parties were found in the vicinity of WIELTJE. Lt Col G P R BEAMAN was granted leave and Major I M M ANDERSON took over temporary Command of the Battalion.”


Single Post Navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: