1918, FEBRUARY 22nd – REORGANIZATION OF THE 184th BRIGADE
War Diary of the 2/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment
Regiment. 2/4th Royal Berkshire
Location France, Holnon Wood
Entry The morning was spent preparing to march and in the afternoon the Battalion moved to UGNY. The 184 Brigade which has been reorganised now consists of 3 Battalions disposed in depth.
2/4th Bn OXFORD AND BUCKS LIGHT INFANTRY in the Front Line.
2/5th Bn GLOSTER Regiment in HOLNON WOOD.
2/4th Bn ROYAL BERKSHIRE REGIMENT at UGNY.
184th BRIGADE HQ are at ATILLY.
61st DIVISION HQ are at AUROIR
XV111 CORPS HQ are at HAM
Fifth ARMY HQ are at NESLE.
From The Story of the 2/4th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, by Captain G. K. Rose M.C. (Oxford: B.H. Blackwell, 1920)
The three Battalions which remained were now arranged in ‘depth,’ a phrase explained by stating that while one, say the Berks, held the front line ‘twixt Fayet and Gricourt, the Gloucesters as Support Battalion would be in Holnon Wood and ourselves, the Oxfords, in reserve and back at Ugny. When a relief took place the Gloucesters went to the front line, ourselves to Holnon, and the Berks back to Ugny. The Battalion holding the line was similarly disposed in ‘depth,’ for its headquarters and one company were placed more than a mile behind the actual front.
From The Story of the 2/5th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment, 1914-1918, by A. F. Barnes, M.C.
A new system of defences was adopted by General Headquarters (Early 1918). There were to be three distinct areas of defence – a Forward, a Battle, and a Rear Zone. The Forward Zone was to consist of a line of outposts with strong fortified redoubts on the rising ground behind. These redoubts though from 500 to 1,500 yards apart, were not connected up by any system of trenches but a single line of barbed wire with a machine-gun post here and there. The redoubts and the machine-gun forts were sited so that they could sweep with converging fire all the intervening low lying ground. The depth of the Forward Zone was about 3,000 yards and its purpose was to break up and disorganize the leading troops of the German assault.
Behind this came the Battle Zone, consisting also of Redoubts but without the line of outposts.
The Last line was the Rear Zone, some two miles behind the Battle Zone and consisting of a double line of trenches.
So far as the 184th was concerned, the forward battalion held a line of posts north of Fayet with a strong point at Enghien Redoubt. These posts were very lightly held and were at distances of approximately 100 yards. The support Battalion held that part of the Battle Zone which lay along the front of Holnon Wood, The reserve battalion was some miles behind at a village called Ugny.